Looking to take on “Meatless Mondays” but don’t want to eat a wimpy salad? We’ve got you covered!
These Spicy Sweet Potato Avocado Rice Bowls are comfort food meets nutritious, lazy meets foodie, and quick meets delicious. Not to mention they are the perfect picture of ingredients that are always in my kitchen. I always have extra of my favorite ingredients around because half of our meals are seriously just thrown together. Planning for every meal of the week in advance? Ain’t nobody got time for that.
These Spicy Sweet Potato Avocado Rice Bowls are clean eating at its finest. No bag of kale or raw carrots here, because seriously, I can only eat so many raw carrots.
Avocados contain nearly 20 vitamins and minerals, many of which are easily absorbed by the body. A large sweet potato contains more than a day’s worth of vitamin A, essential for eyesight and reproductive health. It also has B vitamins, fiber and potassium and an antioxidant called glutathione, which may enhance immunity and supports metabolism. Black beans are also a fantastic source of protein! These bowls are so good that they even got meat-loving-hubby approved!
Even sauce is healthy in these bowls! Made with Greek yogurt, avocado, a little garlic, juice of a lime, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, it’s so easy to whip up for a weeknight dinner. I’m not going to claim its Chipotle, but it’ll keep your wallet heavier and lighten your ass.
|Prep Time: 10 mins|
|Cook Time: 40 mins|
|Total Time: 50 mins|
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 scallions, diced
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup brown rice
- avocado yogurt sauce
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1 small avocado
- ½ clove garlic
- juice of 1 lime
- salt & pepper
- Cook 1 cup brown rice in a rice cooker according to the instructions (it takes mine about 60 min, so I will start the rice about 30 minutes before everything else).
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Toss sweet potato cubes with oil, chile powder, salt, and pepper; spread sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and set aside.
- In a small food processor, blend together the yogurt, avocado, garlic, lime juice. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Assemble rice bowls with roasted sweet potatoes, diced avocado, black beans, scallions and cheese. Serve with avocado yogurt sauce.
Vegan option: Sub cashew cream for yogurt. Blend until creamy: ½ cup raw, unsalted cashews (soaked for at least 1 hour) with ½ cup water. (also, omit cheese)