Say good morning to this protein-packed smoothie with an added caffeine boost.
Matcha is a type of green tea powder that has been used for centuries in Japan. It’s rich in antioxidants and can be found as both whole leaf or with the leaves ground into a fine powder. Matcha is the perfect addition to any smoothie because it boosts your metabolism, increases focus, and is packed with antioxidants to support your health.
This matcha protein smoothie will leave you feeling refreshed and energetic.
A while back, I became a bit obsessed with Starbucks’ Matcha Green Tea Latte. I LOVE it, and figured if I loved the matcha, I might as well trying to make some matcha drinks at home.
Enter this matcha basil protein smoothie. It’s packed with protein (yay) and healthy superfoods (double yay). Plus, it’s got the added caffeine boost of the matcha, which makes it a great choice in the morning, or during a mid-afternoon slump.
It’s creamy, healthy goodness, and I think you’re going to love it.
What’s the Difference Between Matcha and Normal Green Tea
With “normal” green tea, you infuse the tea leaves in hot water, and drink the infusion after discarding the leaves.
With matcha, you are drinking the leaves! The whole leaves are ground up into a fine powder, and that’s what you consume – no discarding neccessary.
This results in a lot more caffeine compared to the “normal” tea method of infusion – up to three times as much.
Why Should I Add Matcha to my Life?
Matcha is a superfood, packed with excellent health benefits, including:
- Antioxidants – matcha’s packed with them
- Shown to decrease the risk of cardiovascular diseases and events, and diabetes
- Metabolism boosting, and helps you burn fat
|Prep Time: 5 mins|
|Cook Time: 2 mins|
|Total Time: 7 mins|
|Yield: 1 smoothie|
- 1 apple, washed, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, washed and tightly packed
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- Juice from 1 lemon or lime
- 1 to 2 cups coconut water
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yoghurt or kefir
- 1/2 scoop unflavored protein powder
- handful of ice (optional)
- Wash and chop all ingredients as indicated in the ingredients, and throw them into a blender. Start with 1 cup coconut water, and add more as needed to achieve the ideal consistency.
- Blend until smooth.