When I say I love avocados, I really mean I eat avocado in some form almost daily. When I found out how good they are for you, I totally started using that as an excuse to increase my consumption.
Avocados are very high in omega 3 fatty acids, the good kind of fat, in the form of alpha-linolenic acid. It accounts for about three-quarters of the calories in an avocado. Monounsaturated fats can help lower cholesterol and improve heart health. Avocados also have a higher percentage of protein — about 4 grams — than other fruits. Their sugar levels are also comparatively low.
Avocados contain many essential vitamins and minerals. Flores said that they are a good source of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), vitamin K and fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain regularity. Additionally, avocados are high in magnesium, phosphorus, iron and potassium, containing even more potassium per gram than bananas, according to the New York University Langone Medical Center.
So, enjoy your avocados and make a double batch of this Guacamole with Balsamic Reduction. Once you try it, you will wish you had!
|Prep Time: 5 mins|
|Cook Time: 15 mins|
|Total Time: 20 mins|
- 3 small-medium ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon light extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- In a small sauce pan, combine balsamic vinegar and sugar. Simmer over medium heat until mixture reduces by half and becomes thick. Stir frequently for 15 minutes. Remove the balsamic reduction from heat and set aside.
- In a small pan, saute the minced shallots and garlic with olive oil for 2 minutes Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, and cub the avocado and remove cubes with spoon (this gives the guacamole those great chunks of avocado!)
- Combine sauteed shallots and mixed garlic avocado, cilantro, lime juice and fine sea salt. Stir until well blend.
Notes*Calories calculated based upon serving 6 people
Nutrition InformationCalories: 159