With fall comes many of my favorite things: the turning colors of the trees, cool canyon runs, sweater weather, an excuse to buy new leather boots, and cooking an outrageous number of pumpkin recipes. Truth be told, I wait all year for all things pumpkin, and pumpkin pie the sole reason I sign up for the Turkey Trot race every year (1. they give you pie at the end, 2. it gives me an a valid reason to justify eating pie all day).
Now pumpkin + dark chocolate = holy goodness. And I thought pumpkin pie was my favorite, well these cookies have me thinking again.
These Dark Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Cookies are soft, chewy, and jammed with rich dark chocolate chunks! This is a pumpkin cookie for the dark chocolate lovers and are meant to be eaten when they are fresh out of the oven – the rich chocolate just melts in your mouth.
Pumpkin is one of my favorite ingredients for cookies because it makes the cookies chewy and moist. Now, underbake them just a bit because it’s pure dark chocolate + pumpkin melty nirvana right there. These cookies are perfect for a cozy indulgent night in – don’t worry, you can go enjoy your run in the fall colors tomorrow and work them off!
The funny thing is, a lot of people think I eat crazy healthy. Do I eat healthy? Yeah, it’s my lifestyle. But am I a dark chocolate crazed women, you betcha. Everyone deserves a treat every so often – but I always make sure the treat is worth the calories. These cookies are worth every bite.
Fall isn’t fall without Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies, so get baking!
|Prep Time: 15 mins|
|Cook Time: 12 mins|
|Total Time: 27 mins|
|Yield: 14 medium cookies|
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups flower
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (I prefer organic sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract may be substituted
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the butter and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, white sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and butter until smooth.
- In the same bowl, flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, salt, and stir until just combine (if it feels too dry, add 1 tbs water).
- Add the dark chocolate chunks and stir to combine.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop (my preference for this recipe), form approximately 14 equal-sized mounds of dough by compacting the dough. The chocolate chunks will try and fall out, but just press them back in. You will want to slightly flatten the cookie dough, because they don’t flatten while baking. It is also very difficult to shape the cookies once the dough has chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (I love my coconut oil spray!). Place dough on the new tray, spaced at least 2 inches apart. You may need to use two cookie sheets. Bake for about 11-12 minutes (in some ovens it has taken me 13 min), or until the cookies are just cooked – to keep these cookies moist, you do not want to over cook.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes. Do not transfer to rack right away, as the cookies will firm up while cooling.
- Devour and enjoy!