When it comes to ice cream flavors, there are few that can rival coconut and dark chocolate. In this recipe, we have taken the best of both worlds and combined them into a decadent dairy free ice cream. This is an easy-to-make recipe with only 5 ingredients (plus the cookie dough)!
This decadent ice cream has a lot of things going for it. And besides how it actually tastes (delicious) I love how flexible it is.
Lactose intolerant? No problem, as this ice cream is dairy free.
Vegan? Yup – so long as you select vegan dark chocolate for your ingredients, this ice cream fits the bill.
What if you’re trying to eat a bit healthier? No problem I say. This cookie dough (which I used from Oh She Glows) is healthy!
Seriously – this is an ice cream recipe you’re going to love!
|Prep Time: 30 mins|
|Cook Time: 30 mins|
|Total Time: 1 hour|
- 2 (13.66 oz) cans of full fat Thai coconut milk
- 3/4 cup granulated organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chunks or dark chocolate chips (use vegan if that’s important to you)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- Cookie Dough Balls by Oh She Glows (make without the salt)
- Combine coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla in a blender, and blend until ingredients are combined, about 30 to 45 seconds.
- Transfer contents of the blender to an ice cream maker, and freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
- When it’s time to churn, go ahead, and then during the last little bit of the churning process, add in your chopped chocolate chunks/chips and the coconut flakes.
- Serve immediately if you want a softer texture, similar to soft serve, or place it in a container in the freezer to achieve a firmer texture more like “normal” ice cream.
For the cookie dough balls, check out the Oh She Glows Cookie Dough Balls (version III) and don’t use the salt, or just add a tiny pinch: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/03/18/chocolate-chip-cooke-dough-blizzard/